So now that you are semi familiar with insects as a food source, you are probably beginning to wonder how exactly you are meant to introduce insects into your daily diet.
It’s quite simple really, and over the course of the next few weeks we are going to post a few simple recipes to help get your entomophagy journey started:
We thought we’d begin with a crowd favourite : a spin off of egg fried rice – Meal worm fried rice!
What we really love about this dish, is that you can easily incorporate the meal worms into the dish and they also look visually appealing (as you can in the photos below). What’s more (and you’ll see what we mean when you try this at home for yourself) is the cashew nut flavour of the meal worms really compliment this Asian dish, making it super delicious!!!
So here is how you get started:
The ingredients you’ll need are as follows:
1 cup of blanched mealworms
1/8 tsp Garlic powder
½ Red pepper
½ Green pepper
4 tsp Soy sauce
1 cup basmati rice
1 tsp Oil
3/4 cup Water
Here’s how you go about making this deliciously simple dish:
- Take the cup of blanched meal worms and flash fry them in the pan with the oil for approx 2 minutes. Once golden brown take them of the heat and set aside for later.
- In the pan add egg and scramble.
- Then add the water, soy sauce, garlic, peppers and onions to the pan and allow to boil.
- Stir in the pre cooked rice, and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally stir in the mealworms and serve hot
This what your meal should look like (Delicious right?!)
As you well know, you can’t quite run down to the nearest grocer to buy your pre-blanched meal worms, so we’ve found some quirky cool kids in Cape Town who are more than willing to hook you up with a supply. Drop them a mail (addresses below) and I’m sure they will be more than willing to assist you with your entomophagical needs!!